Friday, February 5, 2010

No, We Don't Need Your Advice On Shoe Color

I went to the Fleet Feet store last Sunday, ready to make my renewed commitment to running financial: I needed new shoes, badly.

My last trip to Fleet Feet in the summer prompted this post, in which I embraced the superficial and shunned ugly shoes. This time, I figured the passage of several months boded well: they've probably received a new shipment, or maybe even a new version of my longtime favorites.

Shoe guy: "What are you looking for?"
Me: "Saucony Triumph, usually size 8, maybe 7.5."
SG: "No problem, be right back."
Me: "Oh, and I gotta tell you now, I'm kind of particular about color."
SG: "Color is a very personal thing. I'll see what we've got."

Shoe Guy comes back saying, "You're either gonna love this, or hate it. Personally, I love this color." He opened the lid and peeled back the tissue paper to reveal the hideous disco purple-and-silver shoes that had made me throw up a little in my mouth just a few months earlier.

Before he could pull one of the shoes from the box, I put my hands up, 'Nope, no way. Not even sorry to say, No. I know those shoes. I tried on those shoes. I even ran in them in the parking lot and tried to convince myself they aren't ugly. But the thing is, they are. Really. Ugly. Can't do it."

I asked him how often they order from Saucony, and if maybe I could consult on the colors they order next time. He either winked... or winced. Probably the latter.

SG: "Like I said, color is a really personal choice."

Shoe Guy did, however, have a pair in size 7.5, in a totally normal, acceptable light-blue-and-white color scheme. I've been running in them for a week, and they feel just about right.

This Monday is the second meeting of Marathon 201 - a lovely, small group of seemingly not neurotic runners (is that possible?). We'll be having a shoe clinic at Ski Rack and I will definitely be scouting out some color options.

No comments:

Post a Comment