Sunday, January 31, 2010

All Day Long I Dream About Donuts

It is Sunday, day of the long run. Even though my runs are not long right now, Sunday still arrives with high expectations, and worries about not meeting them. I went to bed last night knowing that I would go to the gym today, since the Arctic front that the Eye On The Sky guys are so enthusiastic about has not let up for days.

Weirdly, my most memorable dreams in waking up this morning were of the fried dough variety. I dreamed I went to Dunkin Donuts and bought a cup of coffee and one chocolate frosted. Apparently, I wanted to eat many, many donuts but I was too embarrassed to actually buy them. So then I went to the grocery store and bought 7-8 huge frisbee-shaped donuts from a display case that was a cross between a vending machine and the DVD racks like they have at Waterfront Video. I have to believe my desire to buy secret donuts is wrapped up in my guilt over what I am and am not (yet) doing to get my butt in gear with my running goals.

So I went to the gym. I warmed up on the treadmill, and then went upstairs to the track to try my first speed work since training for Montreal. As I stood stretching at the edge of the track entrance I couldn't help but notice that, of the few runners passing by, each was wearing a shirt from some year of the Vermont City Marathon. Because really, who else would be spending a Sunday on an indoor track but people who really need to be there?

The speed workout went well -- I planned to do four 200s but I struck up a conversation with another runner and we raced one last lap. (He smoked me. Total hustler.) It felt good to realize I still have some speed, while the stinging in my lungs and tiredness in my legs were a good reminder of what sitting around for a few months does to your fitness.

Afterward, I went to Dunkin Donuts. Weirdly, they now sell mostly bagels.

4 comments:

  1. Шла Саша по шоссе и сосала сушку!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily's post is a tongue twister, loosely translated:

    "Sasha went down the road sucking on a pretzel."

    (It totally makes more sense in Russian. Thanks, Em!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Patti that if we met up for Sunday runs we could get donuts together. I like the chocolate Munchkins(not sure of spelling), suprising by how many I eat.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to start out twice as early to enjoy finish line donuts with you and Thao!

    ReplyDelete