Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Defy the taper! and other random notes

Right about now, other runners are enduring the period of training called the taper: 2 to 3 weeks of rest and coach-potatoey-ness before race day. I, on the other hand, and still building my mileage. No taper for me.

With 10 days till race day, I am contemplating what my finish time will be, whether I will finish, whether I will be happy if and when I finish. I've also found myself creating metaphors and analogies to describe how I feel about my upcoming race:

... my marathon is a late-model car: works well enough, a little rust on the wheel wells
... my marathon is a shirt that you were planning to wash but then you decide to wear it one more time.
... my marathon is the embodiment of the 5-second rule: food falls on the floor, you think, 'oh shit!' and pause to question whether you will still eat it, then you do and it's pretty much ok.

I am feeling excited for the race again this year: the ritual of getting ready, imagining different parts of the course, guessing at what my pace will be. This weekend is my last Sunday before the race. I'm planning to run 17-18 miles, then taking it easy until race day. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment