Sunday, February 4, 2007

Week 2: Sick - of running?

Tuesday: 5 miles
Thursday: skipped a run (should have been 5 miles)
Saturday: 3 miles
Sunday: 6 miles, the last 2 slow and sad

Downhill Fast
This week started strong - I burst through Tuesday's run feeling like this is already part of daily routine. I ran 5 miles in the morning and went to work as if I've done this every day of my life.

On Wednesday I had a headache most of the day and by evening my temperature was 101. I fell asleep with the chills, never mind two down blankets and a thermostat set high enough to induce global-warming-guilt.

Thursday ended late, and I was in no shape to run my scheduled 5 miles. I felt pretty bitter about deviating from the training schedule only a week-and-a-half into the program. Friday was a scheduled day off and I reasoned that I was just postponing the run till then.

Seriously, enough already
I was still in no shape to run on Friday: I left work early and slept about 18 hours in the aforementioned down blanket cocoon. I woke up periodically, allowing time to acknowledge that I was bored and still felt like crap.

When Saturday dawned clear and cold I (finally!) felt better. I hit the treadmill thinking that I would at least run the scheduled 3 miles for the day, but maybe I get go a bit farther to make up for Thursday. I called it quits at 3, and felt pretty tire and weak for the rest of the day. But at least I didn't skip a second run this week!

Sunday was the true challenge: the 6-mile run. The previous 6-miler had been iffy - cold, snot, messy. By this time, I had new pair of running shoes (thanks to super-detailed shoe fitting that morning) and a reminder from the leader of Marathon 101 that if you push yourself while your sick, you'll only set yourself back further.

So I ran the first half -- 3 miles -- and took a break to stretch; I ran the fourth mile, then alternated walking an running half-miles after that. I hit the 6.00 mark on the treadmill and I didn't overdo it, but I'm still aware that I haven't gone out and run a continuous 6 miles yet, and next weekend calls for an 8 mile run. How will she do?


No comments:

Post a Comment