Sunday, January 28, 2007

What I'm learning

Here's how I usually work: I like deadlines, and I like using stress as motivation to work faster and more efficiently. I was never the type to plan a term paper in advance and work at it incrementally. I crammed and researched furiously and cranked it out during all-nighters.

But as the trainer told us during the first Marathon 101 class: there's no cramming for a marathon.

You can't skip one day and think you'll make it up later in the week. There are a million good reasons and high priorities that will compete for your time (not to mention laziness and inertia), and you have to choose if you want to do this enough to prepare for it. That's what will challenge me as much as the physicality of running: staying with the training day in and day out.

As Week 1 of 18 ends, I still think I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment