Monday, February 5, 2007

Advice with a cup of soup

I had lunch with a friend who has run 26 marathons. Twenty-six! I knew he'd run many, but not that many. It renewed my enthusiasm and his certainty that if I stick to training I can absolutely do this was encouraging. But it gave me a scary, potentially doubt-inducing glimpse at how many ways there are to train, how my aproaches, strategies and philosophies there are. And who's to say which one is right for me?

Hopefully, the proscribed path I'm following will work well enough, but alas I learned from the lunch that personal determination and decision-making is a big part of preparing for the race, and until now I was taking a "do what I'm told" approach. I have an awful lot to learn about nutrition, training and physiology to appropriately deviate from the plan and take more of my training into my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment