Monday, February 21, 2011

You are what you eat (please say it isn't so)

Heidi let me know about a marathon nutrition lecture tonight at the UVM College of Medicine, and I enthusiastically signed up. Nutrition is one of my biggest stumbling blocks in marathon training (aside from long stretches of not running...)

The lecture was helpful - a good review of things I'd heard but not actuated, and an equal dose of practical nutrition science. She said 2,300 calories a day, 60% carbs. I'm probably getting 1,600 calories a day, 60% coffee.

But I have made an effort in the last week to eat better, and I think it made a difference in my long run yesterday -- I ran longer and stronger than I have in months, and I felt great. Today I ate raw almonds, chopped vegetables, whole wheat crackers with hummus, baked trout, orzo and a green salad.

And 4 cups of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment