Saturday, February 26, 2011

Well, that's not normal

Last weekend one of my favorite people, Joy, was visiting. And it happened to have been an incredibly cold weekend. A clear skies, blisteringly bright, deathly cold kind of fun.

Joy and I both have Reynaud's, and the weather gave us a chance to commiserate about the problem of having crappy circulation that leaves our fingers turning white at the faintest exposure to cold. But Joy has it worse than I do, and I blithely related that I haven't had many symptoms for awhile. I generally wear mittens or gloves, but sometimes I don't and mostly it's ok. (This is a significant improvement over a few years ago when just getting a pint of ice cream from the grocery store freezer would turn my hand white for half an hour.)

Oh, my cavalier dismissive defiance of the circulatory system! Today was not nearly so cold as last weekend, but I still wore thick gloves during my long run. And when I pulled the gloves off afterward, here's what I found: a reminder not to talk smack about Reynaud's just 'going away.'

No comments:

Post a Comment