Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love the gym, hate the gym

When the weather guys talk about Arctic conditions for days on end, I adore my gym membership. I think of how warm and lovely I will feel running in a tank top-running dress on the treadmill, not a care in the world about layers, Balaclavas or ice-resistant contraptions strapped onto my shoes.

One evening this week I headed to the gym tired but determined not to the fight compulsion to go straight home. I got myself to the gym, and kept a focused mind when I saw the hand-lettered sign on the door that read 'No hot water.' No matter, I'll drive drive home after running and not bother with showering at the gym. (I overheard another gym goer trying to maintain her determination in talking to the desk clerk, 'Well, i guess I can take a cold shower ad then jump in the sauna to warm up.' "No, the sauna's broken. So is the hot tub.")

Walking past the cardio room, I saw that all the treadmills were taken. Ok. I'll start out on an elliptical until one is freed up. No worries, no reason abandon the workout.

I got in the locker room feeling proud to have brushed off obstacles and was feeling the power of being resolved and determined. This is what long-term goals require! Steadfastness, unwillingness to yield in the face of inconvenience and roadblocks!

And then I realized I had forgotten my shoes.

At this point I knew I would not be running this evening. I live a 1/2 hour out of town, so going home to get my shoes was not an option. And despite the aforementioned resolve, running in the dark Arctic night was not even on my list of possibilities.

So instead, I mentally rescheduled my run for the next day and I went shopping for a treadmill. They are not cheap, but it might be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment