Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's a do over!

Let's just start by acknowledging that I fully abandoned training for the 2009 Vermont City Marathon in February. I got off to a slow start in January and by late February I lost too much time to back in the groove. I tried to assuage the slacker-schlub feelings by registering for -- and then not running -- several shorter races, which reinforced the slovenly feeling of sinking into my comfy couch, never to get up and exercise again.

Around that time I was reading a lot of Runner's World with a desperate m.o. of “think it, do it.” In their annual list of must-do marathons, I noticed the Marathon de Montreal among their list of top choices, and I registered immediately. Boo-yah, time to get off the couch!

I’ve hired a trainer to map out a plan and keep me in line. I bought a new pair of Saucony’s (sparkly white and light blue, very nice). I went to the grocery store to buy fruits and vegetables. I dug out my heart rate monitor from the back of my closet. I’ve done pretty much everything one can do to train, short of…running.

So, I’m giving the recent failed attempts at training the old Etch-A-Sketch full erase and starting over. Today, May 11, marks Week 1, Day 1 and I’m heading out to run 3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment