Saturday, May 30, 2009

For sale: Fuel belt, almost new


Got up early to run 7 miles before heading into town to watch a women's rugby game. For two years I have been convinced that I would not like running with a fuel belt -- a huge elastic thing with pockets for several water bottles. But, I also spent 30 years thinking that I would not like running, so I picked up a fuel belt last weekend at the marathon expo and gave it shot on this run.

Confirmed: I do not like running with a fuel belt.

Here's the thing: it's elastic. Elastic contracts and worms its it way to the smallest shape it can't get itself into. On a human body, this is what people in the clothing industry call the "natural waist." About 1/2 mile into the run I seriously considered returning home, but then I'd have to rechart my course to get the right mileage and I figured I should give it a more thorough road test.

For about five yards, the fuel belt was comfortably below the waistline, and just that small amount of running was enough for the fuel belt to creep up until it was hanging loosely around my middle. As images of Jessica-Simpson-in-Mom-Jeans flashed through my head, I thought, "Ok, big deal. Just see if it's comfortable. Hydration is more improtant than style, sort of."

I gave it a try, but it felt running with one of those old school life preservers encircling me. The more water I drank from the bottles, the more I had to rejigger the calculation of keeping the fuel belt in place. Next weekend, I'm going back to using a CamelBak.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 13, 2009

    Hey just want to say that I love your blog and look forward to your new entries.

    I hope that your new training with Jess helps keep your running "fun". She is a great coach.

    ReplyDelete