Tuesday, April 26, 2011

NYC lottery : do I, or don't I?

Several months ago, in a fit of ambition, I signed up for the lottery for the New York City Marathon. The IMG NYC Marathon has about 45,000 runners. Really fast people can qualify for guaranteed entry, really generous people can get in through charitable entry, and the rest of get in by entering the lottery.

A few numbers to consider from the NYC Marathon web site:
  • They estimate 8-12% of people in the lottery will get bibs.
  • Overall, there were 125,500 applications in 2010
  • They estimate that applications will grow by 15% for this year's race, still vying for 45,000 bibs
So.... knowing that my chances of getting in were small, and feeling somewhat ambivalent about the training I'm doing now for a spring marathon, I kind of put the idea of running New York out of my mind.

Then last week I saw this email light up my blackberry: "Important Announcement: Check your marathon profile NOW"

My first thought was, 'Oh no..... I got in. Crap."

Then I read the message and realized it was just to say, the drawing is coming up, make sure your info is in order. And the dread of getting in was instantly transformed into disappointment that I have to wait a few more days to find out.

Since then, I've debated whether I want in or not, but I'm pretty certain that if I get a spot I'll go for it. I mean, 8% chance? The opportunity to sit among tens of thousands of fellow whack-jobs in the pre-dawn hours on Staten Island for the honor of running 26+ miles? Can't pass that up.

Drawing is tomorrow, April 27, 12 noon.


UPDATE:

Do I or don't I? I don't. No winning lottery bib for me. In August, when it's 85 degrees and sunny, I will be very happy to spend my weekends lazing around Lake Champlain, and not running 20 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment