Thursday, May 27, 2010

Vermont City Marathon is almost here!

Vermont City Marathon is Sunday, May 30, 2010


The last week has been a mix of marathon-envy and feelings of relief that I’m not running the full distance. A tour of recent running highlights:


- Dinner with Beth, Heidi and Jess. Heidi has crammed so many responsibilities and commitments into her schedule and now days before the race she’s questioning whether a foot injury has returned. At least the burgers were delicious.



- I intended to run 10 miles on Sunday to gear up for the 12 miles of relay running I’ll do at VCM, but effort was on par with Ferdinand the Bull. It was so beautiful out that I kept getting distracted by my surroundings: grassy stretches of rolling hills, bright green leafy trees, the bluest blue sky ever, an awesome view of the islands in the Inland Sea, horses munching on the tall grass at the roadside. Who can concentrate on running? I meandered 4 miles and then gave in to the hot, hot sun. Hung out at the lake with friends.



- Well, yes, it has been crazy hot!! Scorching! I can’t imagine how freaked out the marathoners must be by the weather we’ve had. The forecast predicts cooler temps starting today and going through the weekend, but it’ll still be in the 70s on race day. Probably a good idea to hydrate with more that coffee.



- Did I want to be at the Burlington High School track at 6:30 Tuesday morning? Well, no actually. I wanted to be asleep. But as Jess points out, better to get in the workout while it’s not stifling yet. Around 6:45 I was running my warm-up laps and trying to bargain with Jess about exactly how much running she force me to do. It did feel good to be back in action!



- I’m looking forward to volunteering this week with RunVermont. The scores of tasks and people that are set in place are impressive, and particularly heart-warming to those of us who adore organizational details.



- Relay team update: poor Maria was so looking forward to this, won a coveted relay spot in a lottery and rallied our team to get registered. And then made a mess of her knee ligaments in rugby practice and is now sidelined for the race. It won’t be the same without her!

No comments:

Post a Comment