Thursday, July 30, 2009

Best 5K ever

Maria has been faithful to her plan of running one 5K each month in 2009. Last Wednesday we were among the... 12?... people who ran a 5K at Sports & Fitness Edge in Essex.

A 5K is 3.1 miles. This is not a long distance. This is a short distance. But this was meant to be my speed workout for the week, and I was actually getting nervous as the afternoon wore on. Could I keep a fast pace for three straight miles? What if I started too fast and petered out to a humiliating walk of shame to the finish line? What if, after months of training, Maria beats me having run only once a month for the last sixth months? I worried. I ate a garlic twice-baked potato. I regretted it. I drove over to the race after work.

The day had been sweltering, up until a massive rainstorm broke open an hour before the start. This turned out to be perfect timing: the skies were overcast, the temperature was cool, but no rain was falling.

The race was two loops with no mileage markers. As we broke from the starting line, I flubbed starting my watch. Dang! Maria kept time for us, and as we finished what I think was Mile 1 I asked for a time check. 8:15. Craaaaap! That's way too fast. We got to the half way mark in around 14 minutes. I got a little ahead of Maria around Mile 2 and then - blast her! - she caught me and PASSED me going UP a hill. I hate hills. We ran together for a ways, and then Jessica's yelling, ahem, encouragement, got me going and I was off toward the finish line. I think I even increased my pace, rather than just holding steady.

Final time: 27:50! Maria's time: 28:36!

I was really psyched for both us. That was a hard, successful run. Thank you to Chiara for coming out in the blah weather to cheer us on. Thank you to the race organizers for the sweet goodie bag. Thank you to Jessica for threatening to make me do a track workout if I didn't give this race my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment