Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"That means you're doing it right!"

Track workout this morning: Jess displayed her sadist streak by instructing me to run 800s - two laps around the track, 1/2 mile. Six of them.

The first 800, I felt like my legs were in concrete, that I was slowly slogging through molasses. But when I checked my watch at 200 meters, I was under a minute, and I finished the 800 in 3:54 - my fastest 800 yet. What gives? My brain and my legs are totally disconnected.

I got a little slower with each 800 after that, creeping up to 4:11. (This is what happens when you think to yourself, in a sleep deprived state having risen at 5:20 a.m., 'Oh yeah! All six 800s under 4 min today!')

I took a long rest before the last one, during which Jess gave me advice: it should hurt, it should be uncomfortable. "Sometimes I get tunnel vision when I run really fast." Yes, friends, vertigo IS a sign of success at the track. "Jess, I'm so I tired..." "You should be! It's a track workout! What do you expect?!"

Summoning all my reserves, I focused on form and commanded the oatmeal I ate in the car on the way to the track to settled down, and pushed through the last 800 in 4:01!!!

Afterward Beth and Jess had celebratory comments on the workout. Yes, sometimes running makes your stomach turn, you may drool a bit, and you might limp for the rest of the day. Basically, it's like being in nursing home, running is. But running fast makes you a faster runner, that's the whole point here.

Postscript:

Rhet is out front running 100-meter sprints now. He thinks he can extend his pace to run a 1:20 marathon. Also, he had a churro and hot dog for lunch. He says he has it on good authority that this is good training fuel....


No comments:

Post a Comment