Sunday, October 11, 2015

GMAA: Marathon #10

Thank goodness for Beth! She is also training for an ultra, which means I have a partner with which to share both training miles and psychosis.

West Shore Road photo op.
We ran the Green Mountain Athletic Association marathon in the Lake Champlain Islands, my former stomping grounds, as a training run. We both remember hearing rumors about freaks for whom a marathon is not a goal race but rather a day in the schedule leading up to something bigger. Yes, we have become those freaks.

GMAA is a beautiful race, small and rural, and drawing the nicest people anywhere. We headed out with no time goals, just wanting to cover the distance. Along the way, we saw old friends, cheered for fellow runners, and saved several fuzzy caterpillars and one snake from being road kill.

Bummer of the day was around 23, when my right knee decided the race was over. Beth walked with me the last 3 miles, supportive of the decision not to push an injury in a race that didn't matter to either of us beyond getting in the miles. I've been just on the edge of injury for a few weeks, and 26 miles on mostly pavement might have been asking too much.

West Shore Road neighbors!
The race is an out-and-back that follows the lake shore, and we stopped for a scenic selfie in the late miles. Not too far away, a woman was standing at the end of her driveway, leaning on her walker and waving to runners. We learned that she is 101 years old, and is proud to live by herself, though her niece helps her out.  She was tickled that I wanted a picture with her, and while I regret that we didn't ask her name I hope she knows that she made my day.





No comments:

Post a Comment