Monday, April 20, 2015

Meeeeb!!!

There are very few celebrities who evoke in me any level of an "I can't believe I'm meeting you!" reaction. Meb Keflezighi is an exception.

2012 Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston: that was the weekend that Meb came in first, and Beth ran her first half-marathon after having a baby, and I impulsively signed up for the Antarctica marathon.

A year later, my mom randomly meets Meb in a park in San Diego, has no idea who he is, and somewhat questions that he's telling the truth about being a so-called world-class runner. I buy her his memoir, she learns that, in fact, he is a world-class runner and beloved San Diegan and that they actually have some friends in common. A year after that he won Boston, and in between he was unmissable in running magazines and the San Diego sports pages. 'Oh I saw Meb in the paper again,' my mom would say, like they're old friends.

On my visits to San Diego I'd make an effort to run where I know he likes to run, just on the chance that I, too, could literally run into Meb. And then last Christmas, a perfect opportunity! He was grand marshal of a parade, and all we had to do was be at the end of the parade route when his float came by, and wave the elaborately decorated 'Meb' posters I had made, and then find a way into the staging area, and then act like I was totally supposed to be there, and then very casually pull out my favorite pair of running shoes from my bag and hand him a Sharpie. You know, nonchalance.

All was going well. I even Tweeted him that morning and he FAVORITED MY TWEET. Meb Keflezighi favorited my Tweet! Amazing.... My mom, sister and I got to end of the parade route downtown really early. So early, that there was time to go shopping. Furry vest-like accessories were tried on. Until finally I said, 'I think the parade should be coming through soon.' Too soon, in fact. The first floats had already finished 15 minutes earlier. As this realization bloomed in its full horror, my sister tried very hard to make the expression on her face one of sympathy when in fact she was very much dying of laughter.

I ran down the block in the direction that the floats were headed, thinking, 'He'll still be here! He'll still be here! He's hanging out, signing autographs, right?' And then I saw the empty, bright orange float with the sign that said "Grand Marshal Meb Keflezighi" parked sadly on the curb and guarded by a guy in a Raiders t-shirt. I mean, a RAIDERS shirt. Like the whole situation wasn't upsetting enough. "Oh yeah, the guy that was on the float? He left a few minutes ago. Real nice guy, stood around talking to us for awhile. Who is he anyway?"

I mean, honestly.

So, no Meb meeting that day either. I was really bummed. My mom and sister were appropriately sympathetic, but also laughed at me a lot. I mean, a LOT.

Every time I see him in a running magazine, or in a social media feed, I think, "Meb! You are my hero! And we're both from San Diego! Remember when you met my mom and she had no idea who you were but you were TOTALLY nice to her anyway?!"


So today, just as Meb took off from the start line at the Boston Marathon, my sister texted me a photo of a poster announcing him as the guest speaker at her office later this week. I thought despondently, "Yep, another member of my family gets to meet Meb. Naturally..." Until she suggested I come down to NYC for the day, and I looked at my calendar and realized... I actually CAN go to NYC for the day!!

And now I just need to stay focused. No late arrivals, no forgetting ID at building security, just get.there.on.time. and bask in the reflected glory of the nicest world-class runner I've ever met.





No comments:

Post a Comment