Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Vavilovians


The good ship Vavilov was our home away from home for the duration of the Antarctic adventure. These are some of the faces I got to see every day.

Add caption

"All ice is nice!" Harry, the resident glaciologist.

Our most excellent kayak guide, Ms. Sophie of New Zealand.

Sophie took me kayaking, and was my personal post-race handler. Three cheers for Sophie!




Andrew and Scott in Ushuaia, always prepared.

And there was much singing. Erin, Abra and Andrew.

And there was much dancing in confined spaces.


The worst weather day of the trip, but this crew grins and bears it. (Neko Harbor.)

It only took two days of requests for Cody to invent a drink in honor of "Vermount."

The affable Bill Nelson of Marathon Tours, swapping stories with Alex.



Andy, Lisa and me waiting to go kayaking. Lisa has the hardened expression of a paddler who's seen the wrong side of the kayak.

The shirt says 'Steelers' but the attitude is all California.

So many hours passed in the lounge with these guys.


This pretty much doesn't need a caption.
"I just turned around on the barstool like this... and it fell off."
Scott and Andrew have friends in low places.

This is one photo of me and Caitlin before she took my phone and photographed the Night of a Thousand Selfies (see examples below).










"The Lurker," with Lisa, Scott and Caitlin.

Caitlyn, Abra, me and Grace, final night on the boat.

Officer Mikhail, selfie in scary lighting. He charted our entire trip on a map for me, excellent souvenir. Spasibo!

From Uruguay to Ushuaia to Antarctica - so happy to know Mike!

Alex, me, Lisa.


These guys.

These girls.
This is the time I agreed to take up winter swimming with Jaimie.

Things are happening here. I'm not sure what.


And then there was more dancing.

And still more "dancing."


Andy, Lisa, me.

Andy, Caitlin at the table of trouble.

Last in and last out at meal time, Alex, me, Abra and Andy.



Me and Mr. Alexander Tucker.

Best Zodiak ride: we almost lost Alex and Mike overboard, but we returned with them and with ice.

Finishers!

1 comment:

  1. William seguiApril 03, 2015

    Great pics! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete