Monday, July 8, 2013

Nature! Glorious Nature!

I ran out to the Colchester causeway on Sunday (decided to try the lake instead of the river....).  This is the bike path that nearly stretches to the southern tip of South Hero, but there's a cut to allow boats to pass through. Rain threatened all morning, but held off during most of my run. Cool observations:

  • stormwater: on one side of the Causeway is Mallet's Bay, on the other side the broad lake. The bay side looked pretty normal - dark water, not much sediment. The lake side was the color of a latte. It was odd running out on the narrow rock-raised pathway, just a few yards wide, with two totally different bodies of water on each side. (Photo above is from normal times.)
  • wildlife: I saw a lonesome loon (solo in the middle of the day -- that doesn't seem normal) but the coolest sight was a little brown-furred river otter hanging out on a rock along the path. At first sight I thought, is there a pet ferret on the loose? But I stopped my run to watch the critter, and he hung out long enough that I could identify him in a Google search later. So cool!
  • bike ferry: tons of cyclists heading north and south on the bike path use the pontoon ferry to get across the cut in the bike path. They load the bikes into a specially designed rack and take a quick ride a few dozen yards to the other side of the cut.

This is not the otter I saw, but it looks a lot like him! Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndomer73/

No comments:

Post a Comment