Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mom, Meet Meb

You have got to hear this story:
My mom is lovely and chatty but knows very little about running, except that I run and that marathons are hard. A few days ago she was in large park in San Diego, where she lives, and noticed a man "doing some kind of running spurts."

"Sprints, mom?"

"Yeah, sure, whatever - he was obviously training for something, you know. He was athletic. So I asked him, what you are working on here? And he says he's training for the New York marathon. And I say, Oh, you know, my daughter runs marathons..." And knowing her, she probably went on about this for entirely too long.  And at some point she says (understatement of the year), "you seem a lot faster than my daughter!"

At which points he says he's won the NYC marathon in the past. And my mom says, "Wow, what's your name?" and he tells her his name is Meb, and says maybe your daughter would enjoy reading my new book? (Of course, in my mom's telling, his name is Memb and she couldn't find him when she searched Google for his book.)
"Mom! That's Meb Keflezighi! I saw him once too, when he won the US Olympic Marathon trials, and was surrounded by people trying to get his autograph and take his picture."

"Oh! Well, I should have gotten his autograph. You know, he did look very fast. He obviously knew what he was doing."


You CANNOT make this stuff up!

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 29, 2013

    We had a good laugh over this. Obviously, I am not up on the elite marathon runners!

    Patti's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 16, 2013

    Gosh, how would we know someone famous is running around Balboa park, of all places??? Sherry johnson

    ReplyDelete