Monday, April 19, 2010

To Gu, or not to Gu?

I've had a cardboard box of 24 Gu packets that seemed spawn its own replenishing supplies, it lasted so long. But now, it sits empty in my recycling bin, taunting me to consider whether I will run distances long enough to require more Gu anytime in the near future.

I went to the Marathon 201 class tonight, despite having stopped training for the marathon weeks, and felt a twinge of embarrassment. Today was the Boston marathon, and it gives a boost of excitement to the VCM runners who are entering their high-mileage weeks and contemplating their longest runs. I contemplate whether I will, in fact, knock off a few miles before my commute home. Sad.

So in this mindset of feeling like a quitter, but not quite ready to commit to another long race, I sat and listened, mystified, as Jack Pilla told the Marathon 201 class about his exploits racing 50 miles, 100 miles. Running in the dark, running through thousands of feet of elevation changes, sleep deprivation, dehydration, hallucinations. He enters marathons as 'training runs' - sometimes he does the course twice, or runs home afterward.

Someone asked how his pace changes from a flat marathon distance (6:20 miles) to a hilly 100-mile course (10:30 miles). And then said something that made me daydream for about 25 seconds: sometimes it's easier for slower runners to adapt to really long distances.

Huh.

Up to that point, I'd been thinking that I would give myself a break from marathons because the distance is too much pressure. Try half-marathons for awhile, then take another shot at the full 26.2. But now I wonder if I have it backwards. Maybe I should try something insanely big, and then go to back to the easy-by-comparison marathon and kill it.

This fantasy started to feel less enticing when Jack detailed the medical checkups and severe physical distress. Passing out in a desert canyon called Devil's Thumb, having your feet turn to hamburger, getting blood work done at Mile 88 to ensure your physical limits haven't been maxed out.

Not so sure....

No comments:

Post a Comment