Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dear Saucony...


Dear Saucony,

Please forgive me for doubting you. I never should have turned my back on you to seek out a better running shoe.

I remember more than a year ago, when I ran injury-free in those turquoise Sauconys that felt just right. Those were the good old days for you and me, Saucony. This year, you updated my shoe with that pearly-green number that wasn't quite the same, but I ran in them anyway. Things had been pretty good for awhile, but I thought there might be something better out there.

In April, when I spent a week with Mizunos, I was laid up with a painful hip flexor injury that could have sidelined me from the marathon. I went back to you then, but still had doubts. Earlier this month, I thought the time was right to break up with you again. I looked at Adidas, and Izumi and settled on a pair of Nikes. I couldn't help but grimace as I stood at the cash register and stared at the Saucony motto on a bumper sticker, "Loyal to the sport." But not loyal to you, was I Saucony? A mere 7 miles I logged in those Nikes, and I woke up with terrible low back pain.

This time I've learned. Either your shoes ARE just right, or they have metaphysical powers beyond what you should be able to construct from rubber, foam and mesh. Either way, I promise never to stray again. Even if next year's shoe comes in really ugly colors.

Yours,
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment