Sunday, April 8, 2007

50 days to go

Thanks to a daily countdown started by a Marathon 101 classmate, I can report that 50 days stand between now and race day.

This weekend was the first of three 20-mile runs on the training schedule. A low-key halfmarathon was held on Saturday and it was the best 13.1 miles I've run yet. I kept a consistent pace and didn't stop or walk at all -- that's a first! I was slow as molasses (2:36 was my time) but pretty thrilled.

The plan was to run an additional 7 miles right after the race, but I took an ill-fated break at the finish line. It was 35 degrees out and I went inside to stretch and clean up a bit. But when I walked out the door, my sweaty clothes turned freezing and I couldn't stand the idea of being outside any longer.

A super accommodating friend drove me back to my car at the start line and I went to the gym to run the last 7 miles on a treadmill. This was a plan that high in purpose and determination, but lame in execution. Literally lame. My knees had long since decided they were not interested in bending any more today and I hobbled through the last 7 miles in a funky run-walk gait.

Lesson learned: do not stop moving, you may not start up again.

Marathon prognosis
I feel certain I will finish the marathon. It may not be pretty, but I know I can do it. I don't have any injuries emerging (knock, knock) and I have the endurance. My legs aren't as strong as they should be and that's the biggest hindrance. But, I have 50 days to shape up and get a little faster. I think I can finish under 5 hrs 30 min but I'd really like to be closer to 5 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Patti, Seriously... 20 miles - you are an inspiration. I know that sounds super cheesy, but it's true. Go buy yourself some fancy running gear - you're in the big leagues now.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti,

    I'm super proud of you and continue to be amazed at how you are doing.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti-

    i have to admit, i finally found time to check out your blog. it is so entertaining! i especially liked the "fabulous chiropractor" plug. i am amazed by your determination! keep on truckin' girl! you're almost there!

    tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 days is a long time to get in shape - I know you will do it. And if you can run 13 miles you can run 26 (you only have to do it once!). Not stopping is very important, as if fancy running gear (you should have no excuses of little crap like 'my hair was in my eyes' or 'I had a wedgie the whole time' to complicate matters). Happy Birthday you running Stud!

    Katy

    ReplyDelete